We ran our pilot programme from February to June 2017 in London, Manchester and Cardiff to test our offer. The pilot attracted mentors from a wide range of sectors, all eager to support and offer their advice to a young person. Nearly 600 people across the three cities signed up to mentor. Click here to read an evaluation report of the pilot.
We have learnt that:
- The 1MM mentoring offer can be a good staff development opportunity.
- 1MM can connect employers with local talent in their communities.
- Mentoring is a mutually beneficial experience.
- The motivations for mentoring are related to self-development, social mobility and the improvement of community cohesion.
We’ve received very positive feedback about the platform, our training and resources
‘The 1MM training is amazing. As someone who has done a bit of mentoring, but not in a structured way, to suddenly have that training was amazing. I was impressed by how easy the website was to follow.’ (Tom Westcott, Lawyer, Manchester)
- We signed up 217 mentors.
- We created 91 new mentoring relationships.
- We partnered with 7 organisations working with young people: YEUK, Islamic Relief, UpRising, Fastlaners, Mencap, Queen Mary University and The Advocacy Academy.
“The online training is easy to navigate and doesn’t take too much time whilst remaining effective.” – (Hardy Saleh, Mentor, London)
- We signed up 199 Mentors.
- We created 84 new mentoring relationships.
- We partnered with 5 organisations working with young people: UpRising, YES Manchester, Loreto College, Whalley Range High School and the Factory Youth Zone.
“One Million Mentors is by far the best developmental mentoring programme going at the moment.” – Patricia Keating, Lead, Tech Manchester Project
- We signed up 96 mentors, well exceeding our target of 50.
- We partnered with 6 organisations working with young people: Cardiff University and Student’s Union, UpRising, Cardiff & Vale College, Butetown Youth Pavilion and Mencap.
- We created 52 new mentoring relationships.
After a successful pilot, we are now further stress testing our offer and will be expanding into West Midlands and Manchester.
“The programme organisers were not only clearly passionate about the positive impact that One Million Mentors can have for both Mentors and Mentees, but this was backed up by a professional support base and established set of behavioural models in order for mentors to develop appropriate contracting conversation skills and techniques”. –( Gareth Howell, Design Director, Cardiff)